Snowboarding at Mt Hutt! WHEE!
Woke up at a darn amazing early time at 6.20am to have a quick shower and grab a bite before WS met me outside my flat to head to the bus stop outside Churchcorner Countdown to wait for the Snowbus which is slated to arrive at 7.35am. YEAPS! Pretty excited this morning as we are headed to Mt Hutt for our inaugural ski session!
[Just to add: Mt Hutt has the longest ski season in the entire New Zealand and is the 'best' ski field here. This year, 2008, most ski fields are slated to open by end June but apparently, due to the erratic weather behaviours, they are not able to open up and currently only Mt Hutt has opened since 23rd June] ;)
The trip there was an experience itself as this is the first time I'm actually heading towards Methven area passing by the Rakaia River Gorge (shown below)
and the vast plain fields where the 'sheep and the antelope play'. New Zealand sure never fails to fascinate me with the amazing sights!
Then as we turned into the road leading to Mt Hutt Ski Area, I was just awed as the bus travelled through snowy landscapes and it was so high up! There was no barrier between the bus and the cliff and we were 1m away from it! A very narrow road! And I just kept looking at my side to ensure that we didn't veer too near to the edge.... *phew* Anyways, as the scenary changes from the usual winter Canterbury plains to the snowy Ski fields (as below), my excitement level increased accordingly.
It was so amazing when we finally reached the top!
We had the ski passes, equipment sorted within 1 hour before our lesson actually begins so... it was very hectic. And you think that it was more than enough eh... Basically, it was really messy for during the hour of preparation cos' I had so many layers of clothing/sweaters/jackets that it was hard to monitor which one had my ski pass attached to (the ski pass is attached to a zip on a jacket via a metal hook), where my camera is, where my keys/USB memory stick is, my wallet, etc. It was in a messm, really. So DARN MESSY.
But as soon as it was sorted, we learnt to balance on the snowboard and before long, we realised that it was actually a pretty exhausting activity. Cos' after each slide down, we have to unclip the fasteners that clips the snowboard and my footwear and carry the mammoth-weighing snowboard up again, trugging my super heavy boots (worse than army boots). Then, we have to squat down/sit in the snow to clip the fasteners with the boots and snowboards again before attempting to stand up and glide down. So, I wanted to skip this leh cheh stuff by just unclipping 1 side and gliding my board forward with a lil' push from that 'free' leg. Apparently, it was more energy-consuming than I thought, so after some time, I just did the normal way again.
And we did this for an hour before my instructor actually told us to use the platform that brings us up. ......................... And I thought it was only meant for those using skis... Sheesh.... There was this 1 run where I almost landed in this tiny lake as I didn't see where I was going and I went eye-wide for a moment. Thank goodness man, else I think I really can be a snowman there already.
Towards the late morning, the weather started to change from a normal nice no wind day to windy south-westerly winds and snow. That was when my hair became frozen. yesh, frozen. Taking photos was so horrible as it was difficult holding the camera with my bare hands (hard to control the buttons when your fingers are ballooned to twice the size), but still WS insisted for a photo shot. And there was this one moment where I really got a bit worried for my hands, cos it was soo... [okay i shall not describe it here, but yeah i was worried]
Basically, I fell many times during each run and yes, I think I sprained my left wrist cos' I was too lazy to wear the wrist guard initially, but after that, I decided to do so, considering that my butt, knees, wrist and hands start to hurt. Apparently, the weather forecast for tomorrow is not favourable for skiing and thus, they might close the road to Mt Hutt which means that I get to stay at home to rest my knees.
Can you guess why the above chains are attached to the wheels of the bus when we are leaving and not when we are going to the ski field? (hint: think of its purpose)
Was looking through the video clips and remembered that WS took a movie clip of my unprofessional snowboard run. As such, I decided not to post it up. So what's this clip that is on here? :)
[Just to add: Mt Hutt has the longest ski season in the entire New Zealand and is the 'best' ski field here. This year, 2008, most ski fields are slated to open by end June but apparently, due to the erratic weather behaviours, they are not able to open up and currently only Mt Hutt has opened since 23rd June] ;)
The trip there was an experience itself as this is the first time I'm actually heading towards Methven area passing by the Rakaia River Gorge (shown below)
Then as we turned into the road leading to Mt Hutt Ski Area, I was just awed as the bus travelled through snowy landscapes and it was so high up! There was no barrier between the bus and the cliff and we were 1m away from it! A very narrow road! And I just kept looking at my side to ensure that we didn't veer too near to the edge.... *phew* Anyways, as the scenary changes from the usual winter Canterbury plains to the snowy Ski fields (as below), my excitement level increased accordingly.
It was so amazing when we finally reached the top!
We had the ski passes, equipment sorted within 1 hour before our lesson actually begins so... it was very hectic. And you think that it was more than enough eh... Basically, it was really messy for during the hour of preparation cos' I had so many layers of clothing/sweaters/jackets that it was hard to monitor which one had my ski pass attached to (the ski pass is attached to a zip on a jacket via a metal hook), where my camera is, where my keys/USB memory stick is, my wallet, etc. It was in a messm, really. So DARN MESSY.
But as soon as it was sorted, we learnt to balance on the snowboard and before long, we realised that it was actually a pretty exhausting activity. Cos' after each slide down, we have to unclip the fasteners that clips the snowboard and my footwear and carry the mammoth-weighing snowboard up again, trugging my super heavy boots (worse than army boots). Then, we have to squat down/sit in the snow to clip the fasteners with the boots and snowboards again before attempting to stand up and glide down. So, I wanted to skip this leh cheh stuff by just unclipping 1 side and gliding my board forward with a lil' push from that 'free' leg. Apparently, it was more energy-consuming than I thought, so after some time, I just did the normal way again.
And we did this for an hour before my instructor actually told us to use the platform that brings us up. ......................... And I thought it was only meant for those using skis... Sheesh.... There was this 1 run where I almost landed in this tiny lake as I didn't see where I was going and I went eye-wide for a moment. Thank goodness man, else I think I really can be a snowman there already.
Towards the late morning, the weather started to change from a normal nice no wind day to windy south-westerly winds and snow. That was when my hair became frozen. yesh, frozen. Taking photos was so horrible as it was difficult holding the camera with my bare hands (hard to control the buttons when your fingers are ballooned to twice the size), but still WS insisted for a photo shot. And there was this one moment where I really got a bit worried for my hands, cos it was soo... [okay i shall not describe it here, but yeah i was worried]
Basically, I fell many times during each run and yes, I think I sprained my left wrist cos' I was too lazy to wear the wrist guard initially, but after that, I decided to do so, considering that my butt, knees, wrist and hands start to hurt. Apparently, the weather forecast for tomorrow is not favourable for skiing and thus, they might close the road to Mt Hutt which means that I get to stay at home to rest my knees.
Can you guess why the above chains are attached to the wheels of the bus when we are leaving and not when we are going to the ski field? (hint: think of its purpose)
Was looking through the video clips and remembered that WS took a movie clip of my unprofessional snowboard run. As such, I decided not to post it up. So what's this clip that is on here? :)