It's my life story

Friday, August 08, 2008

SYD-SIN on A380

Spent the last 4 days in Sydney after Gold Coast before I headed back to Singapore via the A380. Took a train from the airport to the city to meet up with Dom there since he was working then. I don't know if you all know this. But I do enjoy train rides than buses because the routes were more fixed and it brings you from suburbs to suburbs.

That day was the second last day of the WYD 2008 and as such, the train station in Central was so packed that they had to divert and close many roads. This resulted in me having to walk an additional 2km to meet up with Dom. Went to Paddy's market and to the Darling Harbour. There were so many pilgrims doing their walks along the way! Went to Star City Casino and had my ID checked (as usual). Had a leisurely walk across the city, stopping by many big shopping centres before I met Dom and Nick for dinner at a Korean Restaurant that night. YUMS! NICE!

Had a couple of drinks back in the bar before heading out to catch "Dark Knight". Western countries popcorns are only available in Salty flavour as opposed to my favourite honey flavour. Ah wells, had that and entered the vvv big theatre with really wide seats and a super long leg room. And I do mean super big leg room. Felt like some biz class passenger for 2 hours. heh.

Movie was kinda boring and a lil' messy with Dom sleeping at some parts into the movie. TSK. Reached his place at midnight. Woke up super late the next day and took the train to Central to meet Dom. Just nice his work ended and he drove me to Bondi Beach and our futile attempts to reach Gap Park before sun sets.


Deep Fried MARS BARS! Woo!

Headed back to Bondi Beach for some BBQ Ribs. Had to wait for almost 45 minutes at the bar before we could get a table! But it was really really good! The onion rings were so special too! Unlike the Singapore style of Onion Rings, theirs are truely made from only onions! We had a slab of pork ribs, onion rings and calamari for that dinner.



WOOHOO! Bet Jevon is salivating now...

Next day, Dom brought me to his uni and I walked around the huge campus! It was so beautiful! He brought me to this "Grafitti Tunnel" that allowed students to draw on walls! So COOL!


Saw a big huge bird standing in the middle of the field. We gave it a name, but I shall not name it here cos' Giggles will be a bit upset. From there, I went to Sydney Opera House and the rocks market. Visited the Sydney Harbour Bridge and saw Luna Park across! Went on a hunt for the HRC there but apparently I was told that it has closed down. Ah wells....



And yesh, I bought Krispy Kreme too cos' I heard it was really good(I saw Matt purchasing 2 dozens and queued up for hours!)!
Purchased a dozen since it was a trend to get it in a big box!


-----------------------
The next day was pretty 'exciting'. For once in my life, I really thought that I was going to miss my flight considering that Singapore Airlines are so strict on their check in timings. This was because I told Dom to bring me back to Gap Park to snap a few more photos before going to the airport. With all road diversions and jams, I arrived at the airport at 2.35pm when my flight was slated to depart at 3.25pm. I huffed and puffed as I dragged my luggage to the check in row. Thank goodness the ground staff were there to lend me a helping hand.



The photos above almost cost me another air ticket!

Ground staff: (looks at me flustered with all my luggage) what time is your flight sir?
ZG: 3.25pm (panting and puffing)
Ground staff: Quick go see that gentleman over there. He can help you!

At once, I skipped the super long queue at the airport and headed right straight for the Star Alliance Gold Card holders queue. He reassured me that I would be able to get on that flight and checked in my luggage without charging me any excess (i was 4kg above the stipulated weight). Collected my boarding pass and he advised me to proceed to the gate immediately as they plane has started boarding passengers.


Clearing customs was pretty fast and easy and it feels privileged to be boarding on the A380 upper deck as opposed to the main deck where most of the economy seats are. ;)


They had 2 seperate waiting areas for the A380. 1 for the upper and the other for the main deck. Since there were many economy class passengers on the main deck, they opened up 2 queues for the main deck economy and 1 queue for the main deck suite class passengers. For the upper deck, we had 1 queue for economy class passengers (since it was a small group of peeps) and 1 queue for the Raffles class passengers. As usual, like all Star Alliance flights, they always have a separate queue to allow Star Alliance Gold class members to enter anytime they want.

Either it was me or the seats on the A380 has diminished. I felt that it was smaller than usual. Not only me, the passenger besides me felt the same way as well. As mine was a window seat, I had this special compartment that allowed me to store my hand carry luggage like my jacket or bag instead of the usual overhead compartment. So, I just dumped those useless blankets and pillows there for the entire flight and, surprise surprise, it felt so much more spacious! ;)



The lavatories are also alot more sleek and elegant considering that I do not need to use so much strength to turn on the tap. All it takes is a light touch on touch panel controls. The temperature of the water can also be adjusted!


Having experienced Singapore Airlines, I think they have won me over for good cos' it's a great way to fly.:)

-----------------------------
With that, it marks the end of my entire 5 mth trip to NZ and Australia! It has been a wonderful journey and really unforgettable. From the beautiful landscapes that mystifies even the frequent travellers in the South Island to the vibrant city life in Sydney during World Youth Day.
Undoubtedly, this has been the most awesome experience in my life. The hospitality I received from everyone throughout these mths were just amazing. It opens up the world to me and really taught me many things - things that can't be learnt but only experienced by the individual.

And it also made me realise that life ain't as hard as it is, espeically so when I have such great friends who are willing to go the extra mile and make the effort to show me around and put me up. It's good to be reminded of how blessed and lucky I am when we do start to take things for granted.

For that, I express my utmost thanks to Dom and Matt and I do wish them well for their future endeavours.