Tramping to Packhorse Hut
Did tramping today as a warm up to the more difficult treks in NZ which we intend to do on our next trip. Heard that we might have to even camp overnight in the wild... ... (I can see Mr Moe gloating now)
Trekked for almost 3 hours into the mountains to our destination with many 'landmines' (the sheep dung) along the way. So I was carefully threading each step. Despite everyone feeling darn tired and stuff, being the very ultra fit ZG, I took photos for everyone in the group and even led part of the trek. It was easy going downhill, but each downhill would mean a corresponding uphill when we head back to the car.
Nonetheless, the view was stunning. It was absolutely amazing. From the top, we could see the snow capped mountains, Diamond Harbour and Lyttleton Harbour. It was truly amazing. No wonder my teacher chose to get married in Christchurch. I don't know how to put it in words, but I took a video of the scenic spot up there so you will know why I feel so WOAH.
At our destination, there was this no-frills looking hut that provided v basic accomodation from Department of Conservation (DOC) of NZ. So basic that they simply just provided the (hard) mattress in dorm style bedrooms. Even a no-frills toilet and water is provided. Of course, what do you expect? It's free!
Paul and Catherine (being the nicest NZ family) brought their kettle and camping stove so we could have hot soup in the cold weather as we sat in the hut. It was awesome. Saw many ba ba white sheep along the way and they saw me like how I looked at them. Curious.
Paul sent us back to our accomd for a quick shower and change out while he went to rent video rentals and shop for groceries and picked Issac (who just won his soccer game 6-1) up. An hour later, we were read to move and headed to his place up the hills and caught some NZ movie as we had fish & chips for dinner. SLURP!
Had wonderful dessert thereafter to refill the energy lost today. HAHA!
Okay, photos will come in shortly. =) v tired man. i bet all of us can fall asleep as soon as we touch our beds.
Trekked for almost 3 hours into the mountains to our destination with many 'landmines' (the sheep dung) along the way. So I was carefully threading each step. Despite everyone feeling darn tired and stuff, being the very ultra fit ZG, I took photos for everyone in the group and even led part of the trek. It was easy going downhill, but each downhill would mean a corresponding uphill when we head back to the car.
Nonetheless, the view was stunning. It was absolutely amazing. From the top, we could see the snow capped mountains, Diamond Harbour and Lyttleton Harbour. It was truly amazing. No wonder my teacher chose to get married in Christchurch. I don't know how to put it in words, but I took a video of the scenic spot up there so you will know why I feel so WOAH.
At our destination, there was this no-frills looking hut that provided v basic accomodation from Department of Conservation (DOC) of NZ. So basic that they simply just provided the (hard) mattress in dorm style bedrooms. Even a no-frills toilet and water is provided. Of course, what do you expect? It's free!
Paul and Catherine (being the nicest NZ family) brought their kettle and camping stove so we could have hot soup in the cold weather as we sat in the hut. It was awesome. Saw many ba ba white sheep along the way and they saw me like how I looked at them. Curious.
Paul sent us back to our accomd for a quick shower and change out while he went to rent video rentals and shop for groceries and picked Issac (who just won his soccer game 6-1) up. An hour later, we were read to move and headed to his place up the hills and caught some NZ movie as we had fish & chips for dinner. SLURP!
Had wonderful dessert thereafter to refill the energy lost today. HAHA!
Okay, photos will come in shortly. =) v tired man. i bet all of us can fall asleep as soon as we touch our beds.