Cave Exploration in Castle Hills and Rock Climbing in "Land of Narnia"
Thank goodness I packed my bag for the trip today! After lazing around, I only woke up 35 minutes after the planned time of 845am. And as I said, luckily I prep my ziploc bags for water proofing of my phone, extra set of clothes, sweater, thermals, water bottle, extra socks and my intended picnic lunch which was some sandwich and an energy bar from Caldbury (chocolate ones).
Apparently it seemed that I was used to the rush already from the normal weekday lessons that it wasn't a trouble to do a bit of final check on the stuff I brought along, brushed my teeth, changed into my shorts, collar T and new hiking shoes and had some food, before leaving my place in 25 min.
Carried almost very heavy packs and walked for about 100m before reaching the meetup pt. The 2 hour drive (i think, forgot lar. Lost track of time when u are immersed in such wonderful sights and sounds) was scenic. We had 2 cars going there as the we had a total of 10 pax. I sat in Catherina's car and we headed to "Castle Hills" direction. We aren't going to that place, but it was slightly beyond that place. So wells, we headed down the 2 hour drive and for the third time since I'm here in Christchurch, I have finally seen farm animals--- goats, lambs, cows, horses. Lots of it in fact that I just started to get a bit bored looking at cattle grazing grass. I think I would be more awed if they appeared on my dinner plate (minus the fats). Paul stopped at 1 of the scenic spots along the highway so that we could take in the beauty of the surroundings.
Upon reaching the entrance of the cave, we started to change into our "cold" gear clothes. Everyone wore thermals within and even when we were wearing short sleeve shirts, the thermals just stuck out. I think it's kinda weird but Emily assured me that it was "the in thing". (-,-) Ah wells, everyone also looked that way so I think it shouldn't matter much.
Paul led us to the exit of the cave to orientate us that this was going to be the place where we were going to exit. The cave walk would take us about 40 minutes on average and we would journey almost 4 storeys high in the cave. NOT BAD! Shoik!
Then, the girls faces start to cringe when they saw that the water level of in the cave went as deep as my waist/stomach level. Cos that meant that not only are our shoes going to be wet, half of our body is going to be wet. HAHAHA! When the first girls stepped into the water, they were shrieking! The water was ice cold!
Imagine: On a fine Saturday morning with a sunny weather, there the 10 of us are trekking into the caves with wet shoes and pants. There was even more responsibility for the peeps bringing the cams in since there is water everywhere and there was no room for mistake if you want to have a fully functional camera when you are outta it. But heck, I brought it in anyway. In fact, only 2 of us brought it in.
Basically, the cave was really dark and the water was freaking cold and freezing. My legs were so cold that it became numb. I even had to move my feet/legs constantly to keep warm.
Then, I thought of what SQ told me on MSN 2 nights before "Sounds familiar... wet shoes, wet clothes, and even eating out on the grass. Not bad!" (sense the sacarsm) [Read: hell]
It was really cold alrights, but I guess it was okay in the sense that I managed to take many photos even though it was really unbelievably cold in there. Moreover, I think this kind of thing is fun too! =p Don't ask me why, but I guess you gotta go in and get wet to really understand.
Anyway, I was really really wet from stomach down and 1/2 my body became numb. Everyone went "ANDY! Faster!" when I was contemplating if I should use the super flash or just the normal flash while standing on some rather dry rock (though I was still wet, it beats standing under the trickling water above your head with your feet in the strong cold gash of water. It was really hilarious!
I think I "kok-ed" my head once on the ceiling of the cave. SHEESH. We manouevered around obstacles and hard rock as well as deep ends of pools. Then as a finale, we had to climb this flight of steps to the exit of the cave. I think the girls were like..."WOAH!" and rushed up. HAHA!
Snapped more photos around the entrance and then headed back to the vehicle for our change of clothes and picnic at the grass patch along the ridge. :) It was a stunning sight. :)
Then, on our way back, we stopped at some scenic spot which was 1 of the scenes from "Narnia". Look at the pictures! It was really steep to climb on some boulders and Paul, again, managed to do so. Thus, I also struggled somehow and managed to reach the top.
Okay, I think I shall let the pictures do the talking.









Nuff' said.
Apparently it seemed that I was used to the rush already from the normal weekday lessons that it wasn't a trouble to do a bit of final check on the stuff I brought along, brushed my teeth, changed into my shorts, collar T and new hiking shoes and had some food, before leaving my place in 25 min.
Carried almost very heavy packs and walked for about 100m before reaching the meetup pt. The 2 hour drive (i think, forgot lar. Lost track of time when u are immersed in such wonderful sights and sounds) was scenic. We had 2 cars going there as the we had a total of 10 pax. I sat in Catherina's car and we headed to "Castle Hills" direction. We aren't going to that place, but it was slightly beyond that place. So wells, we headed down the 2 hour drive and for the third time since I'm here in Christchurch, I have finally seen farm animals--- goats, lambs, cows, horses. Lots of it in fact that I just started to get a bit bored looking at cattle grazing grass. I think I would be more awed if they appeared on my dinner plate (minus the fats). Paul stopped at 1 of the scenic spots along the highway so that we could take in the beauty of the surroundings.
Upon reaching the entrance of the cave, we started to change into our "cold" gear clothes. Everyone wore thermals within and even when we were wearing short sleeve shirts, the thermals just stuck out. I think it's kinda weird but Emily assured me that it was "the in thing". (-,-) Ah wells, everyone also looked that way so I think it shouldn't matter much.
Paul led us to the exit of the cave to orientate us that this was going to be the place where we were going to exit. The cave walk would take us about 40 minutes on average and we would journey almost 4 storeys high in the cave. NOT BAD! Shoik!
Then, the girls faces start to cringe when they saw that the water level of in the cave went as deep as my waist/stomach level. Cos that meant that not only are our shoes going to be wet, half of our body is going to be wet. HAHAHA! When the first girls stepped into the water, they were shrieking! The water was ice cold!
Imagine: On a fine Saturday morning with a sunny weather, there the 10 of us are trekking into the caves with wet shoes and pants. There was even more responsibility for the peeps bringing the cams in since there is water everywhere and there was no room for mistake if you want to have a fully functional camera when you are outta it. But heck, I brought it in anyway. In fact, only 2 of us brought it in.
Basically, the cave was really dark and the water was freaking cold and freezing. My legs were so cold that it became numb. I even had to move my feet/legs constantly to keep warm.
Then, I thought of what SQ told me on MSN 2 nights before "Sounds familiar... wet shoes, wet clothes, and even eating out on the grass. Not bad!" (sense the sacarsm) [Read: hell]
It was really cold alrights, but I guess it was okay in the sense that I managed to take many photos even though it was really unbelievably cold in there. Moreover, I think this kind of thing is fun too! =p Don't ask me why, but I guess you gotta go in and get wet to really understand.
Anyway, I was really really wet from stomach down and 1/2 my body became numb. Everyone went "ANDY! Faster!" when I was contemplating if I should use the super flash or just the normal flash while standing on some rather dry rock (though I was still wet, it beats standing under the trickling water above your head with your feet in the strong cold gash of water. It was really hilarious!
I think I "kok-ed" my head once on the ceiling of the cave. SHEESH. We manouevered around obstacles and hard rock as well as deep ends of pools. Then as a finale, we had to climb this flight of steps to the exit of the cave. I think the girls were like..."WOAH!" and rushed up. HAHA!
Snapped more photos around the entrance and then headed back to the vehicle for our change of clothes and picnic at the grass patch along the ridge. :) It was a stunning sight. :)
Then, on our way back, we stopped at some scenic spot which was 1 of the scenes from "Narnia". Look at the pictures! It was really steep to climb on some boulders and Paul, again, managed to do so. Thus, I also struggled somehow and managed to reach the top.
Okay, I think I shall let the pictures do the talking.
Nuff' said.