It's my life story

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Modules and seafood @ Jumbo Serangoon Gardens

It's been almost a month and wells, the workload is piling again, as I expected.
Am beginning to miss NZ experience when I had the time to leisurely take my time to learn and enjoy life to the max as well. What to do? I'm stuck in Singapore. As SQ agrees with me, "if not for the good food in Singapore, I think I would not have even come back". And that is so true.

Lessons in NTU for a month already and somehow I seem to have a bit of problem trying to understand the first set of notes on DSP and its filters. Apparently, I have somewhat underestimated this 2 AU module and am trying v hard to understand how the Matlab code works to process my signal. Optical Comms class was pretty interesting and it helped that I had some background knowledge from EE4112: HF techniques. Heard that we have to do some cool lab stuff at the last few sessions. Coolz...

Oh ya. Speaking of NTU, the queue for 179A is amazing. It can snake till the entrance of Boon Lay MRT station or even further during the peak hours at 8am. SBS transit has tried their best to reduce the length of queue by opening 2 berths for the shuttle to NTU but apparently, SMRT trains can pack in more students than 2 double deck buses. So every Wednesday I feel like some squashed sardines. There was once where I saw this girl accquiring this skill of sleeping while standing on the bus.

Monday HR classes are quite okay and interesting and it never failed to bring out whatever enthusiasm I had for a Monday class. It was always good to meet up with friends like Guozhen, Jeremy, JC and Chris for my first lesson of the week. Somehow it reduced my agitation in class despite commencing at 9am. :)

My first thought of linear regression analysis in stats have always been a positive one. Having learnt some simple linear regression formula in F maths during my JC days, I thought that it was rather similar. Apparently, there was more to it than meets the eye - F distribution, ANOVA, lots of proving theories and alot of confusing mathematical notations. It ended up me and Guozhen falling asleep in lectures on almost every session. I bet the Swedish exchange guy whom we got to know of during our first session must have thought that we are poor overworked engineering students.

The highlight of the 4th year module is of course, the Final Year Project. Not a surprise that I got my 1st choice of project since no one chosed the project other than myself. Met up with my supervisor in the Institute of Info Comms (I2R) and read quite a number of interesting articles as some form of literature readings before the commencement of any project. There were so many lines in the books that I dont understand, but I was heartened by Dr Chew's words of encouragement. For that, I made myself attend the 6-9pm post grad lectures every Tuesday conducted by the man himself on Cellular Mobile Comms.

This is a really big sacrifice alright considering that I would return home by 1030pm and showered and pack up for the next day and sleep by 1130pm. SO where is the sacrifice? Oh... It comes on in the next line:
I have to wake up by 6am and leave my house by 6.30am to reach NTU just in time for the 8.30am lesson. So, as you can imagine, I would feel darn wasted the next morning. As such, I would rarely be online on Tuesday and Wednesday nights as I would be rushing home to catch up on my precious sleep.

------------------

Juz had my maternal Grandfather's birthday celebration at Serangoon Garden's Jumbo Seafood Restaurant today. It was really awesome and we occupied 3 tables! Needless to say, I got the chance to indulge in my favourite Chilli Crab after so many months since I last tried it. Told ya that Singapore's food is good!

Bought my W150 Sony Camera today from Comex while exploring there with Tim and his 2 students. JC decided to join us only when we were about to leave. Don't worry, my thoughts are the same: WTH?!?!?!